SEATTLE

SEATTLE
Something that stood out to me this week in my studies was Isaiah 41:10. It was the inspiration for one of the verses of How Firm a Foundation. I really love the powerful words of "Fear thou not; for I am with thee... for I am thy God". It makes me think of "Be still and know that I am God." All things are in his control and I need not worry about every little thing. In the words of President Gordon B Hinckley, "It will all work out".

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"This week was filled with miracles" (June 24-Redmond 3rd)

June 24, 2014

Glorious Glorious Temple Day!! Wahoo!!
So before I talk about the temple, I'll tell you about my week.  And I will even include the circumstances for today's quote of the week!
So this week, Elder Kearley and I were having a discussion and I quoted an apostle giving a talk to BYU students in which he said "You cannot slice cheese so fine that it does not have two sides."  I thought there was great wisdom to that quote and that it was an absolute truth.  He contemplated for one moment and well, Elder Kearley has proved me otherwise.
Anyway, this week was an amazing week!  Started it off with eating at a sushi buffet last Monday after emailing.  That was the best sushi I have ever had and it was all you can eat.  Needless to say, I ate a lot.  Relatively cheap too!

We had the opportunity to do a few hours of yard work service this week for a woman of the ward.  That was fun!  Just you wait, I have actually gained some yard working skills.  It was a fun project and I was happy to have the opportunity.  There is just something special about helping and serving others.
So this week was filled with miracles.  We were tracting with Spencer Niederhousern and we came across a Chinese woman who had moved here only a few months ago from China.  She had no knowledge of Jesus Christ and barely any notion of God.  We had the humbling opportunity to bare simple testimony and teach simply who Christ was and invite her to learn more.  She accepted.  We gave her a pamphlet about the Gospel of Jesus Christ with our number and the address to the church on the back.  Fast forward to Sunday, we were surprised to see her and her baby boy walk into the church! She had felt a desire to come even though we had barely mentioned church and had not explained the importance of it yet.  It was such a miracle!
Another story.  We met an Indian woman last week and taught her briefly about the Restoration and gave her a Book of Mormon.  We commit her to simply read the introduction and pray.  We stopped by the past week and to our surprise (we seem to have been lacking faith this week I am noticing) she had read the introduction and felt the Spirit!  We invited her to take a tour of the church and asked when a good time would be.  She felt that "now" was a good time.  So we gave her the address of the church and proceeded to bike with all of our energy and vigor to the church while frantically making phone calls to arrange for a member to be there.  We were able to get a Young Man to come with us and gave her a church tour.  We commit her to read the Book of Mormon daily, come to church, and prepare for baptism on the 6th of July.  Sunday she came to church.
The Chinese family we found 2 weeks ago (I believe I mentioned them -- it was yet another miracle) came to church as well.  We had a busy Sunday.  We were continuously surprised to watch God's hand in our work.  It was truly a miracle.
Which brings me to today's temple trip.  It was a fantastic opportunity.  I love to go to the temple.  It has been awhile since I have been so it felt all the better to attend.  We had the great opportunity to do temple work for the Ancestors of President and Sister Choi!  That was such a unique experience.  I learned something while I was there.  For me, I never realized the comfort the temple covenants bring.  It was not until today that I began to understand the importance of the covenants we make there as well as the comfort that it brings.  I have always known the temple was "good".  It has always been a "good" experience, or a "good" place to be.  I had always given a vague "good" to questions about the temple but today I began to understand, if only the tip of an eternal iceberg of truths, about the covenants we make there.  Obviously, I cannot share details of those covenants but I can share my impressions there.  The covenants we make in the temple are a great source of knowledge and strength.  I previously had heard that but did not understand.  They bring forth great comfort when we understand the meaning behind those covenants.  If you have not been recently, I would encourage you to go soon and often.  If you have not been, I would encourage you prepare and to go.  Our lives are blessed beyond our comprehension as we attend the House of the Lord.

I love you very much! I keep you in my prayers. To Zion to Zion!

Love,
Elder Connor M. Garriss


 The Sushi Buffet.  Good stuff.  Ignore my terrible attempt of a "smolder".
 Elder Jones is in my Zone again! I love this Elder.  Yes, I did buy suspenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment