SEATTLE

SEATTLE
Something that stood out to me this week in my studies was Isaiah 41:10. It was the inspiration for one of the verses of How Firm a Foundation. I really love the powerful words of "Fear thou not; for I am with thee... for I am thy God". It makes me think of "Be still and know that I am God." All things are in his control and I need not worry about every little thing. In the words of President Gordon B Hinckley, "It will all work out".

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"For each of us, there is something we can improve" (June 17-Redmond 3rd)

June 17, 2014

Let's start off by explaining why I'm emailing on Tuesday.  Temple trips are this week and next week which means its Tuesday P-day today and next week (and funny enough the next week after that too since it'll be transfers again).  I get to go to the temple next Monday!! WHOOO!!  Anyway, back to this week.
Last Sunday, (not 2 days ago) I forgot to mention, Achievement Unlocked: First Flat Tire.  And this week, I found a bike hole in my rear tire.  I guess I'll have to buy a new tire today.  I have put some serious miles on my bike haha. Which brings me to bike experience number two for the week! I was riding my bike in a parking lot on our way to Subway.  I got distracted looking at something (or someone) and managed to hit a curb and flip my bike.  That was embarrassing haha and Elder Kearley just laughed at me (After he asked me if I was okay of course)! Anyway...
We had a pretty sweet church tour with the Chinese Family we found! They weren't able to make it to church (bummer) because of a work fiasco but it was a good experience and they plan to come next week! They're an awesome family who and are a miracle family.  Pray for them to progress!
We had the area 70 give us a special Zone Conference this week too.  Basically got chastised about murmuring and not working hard enough.  It was probably needed and its always good to remember "Those whom the Lord loves, he rebukes and chastens"!
ESL class was pretty awesome! As you saw, we taught the Chinese Class how to order at subway by making them Subway sandwiches haha! I have to say, I make a mean Subway sandwich hahaha.
We got to do some service by helping out the city.  They are making a pretty sweet bike trail/jumps (like a straight up bike park).  It was pretty sick.  Being on bike might finally pay off ;)
Friday we had interviews with President Choi.  What a blessing! It is always a great opportunity to have an interview with him.  He counseled me to really improve and perfect my morning routine.  As you can attest, I'm slow and hate mornings but I have been improving this week!  Soon, I will "like" waking up haha!
On a more serious note, the counsel from President Choi, while being simple, holds a key to becoming great.  That key being self mastery, willpower, and motivation.  For each of us, there is something we can improve.  Mine starts in my morning schedule, but for others, it may not be so. Willpower is so important for us to develop.  The ability to do that which your mind is set upon. Often, it is said "you can do anything you set your mind to" and I believe there is truth to that statement.  Let me add a small conditional -- "if you have the willpower you can do anything you set your mind to."  And to develop that willpower, it starts in the small everyday things that we desire to do, but fail to do so.  So let us set our minds to a higher plane and do!
I love you! I hope all is well at home.

Love,
Elder Connor M. Garriss







No comments:

Post a Comment